Monday, February 1, 2010

Practicum #2

This week I practiced doing acts of kindness. I generally practice being kind to others, but I stretched from the norm this week and showed my charity to strangers.

What experiences have you had as a result of practicing this belief or value that you would not otherwise have had?

Journal entry Wednesday the 27th

Before catching the bus to school today I packed a second lunch, but not because I was hungry. I wanted to give this food to the next hungry soul I saw on the street. After school my mom took me to a doctor’s appointment and of course I forgot to bring an extra snack to eat beforehand. My stomach was growling by four o’clock. I was aware I brought extra food but I just had to save it in case I saw someone who needed it more than I did. The appointment ended at six and I was about dying of hunger, but as we were driving home I noticed a man in a tattered, camouflage jacket holding a cardboard sign that read “homeless.” We landed a red light so my mom rolled down her window and said “she’s got something for you.” I pulled out the leftover pizza, Cliff bar, and string cheese in my backpack and handed it to him. “God bless you” he said. As we drove off I stopped feeling as hungry. The satisfaction I received from doing this kind act compensated for my hunger. I would be the happiest girl alive if I could feel that type of fulfillment every day.

What new insights do you have about the belief or value you’ve practiced?

On Thursday morning I gave another bag of food to a man begging for money in front of a McDonalds. When I saw the gratification in his eyes, it took me back in time and I remembered that same look in another beggar’s eyes.

I was about seven when my sister Addie showed me what kindness was. My mom took us to work with her and as we waited for a bus home a woman approached my mom crying for help. I remember feeling afraid because she was so hopeless and desperate; she was almost at my mother’s feet. She begged her for money for a train home. As my mom shook her head with apologies the woman wept like her life was ending. But then Addie began crying with her. She walked to over to the beggar with open arms and hugged her. The woman’s tears turned into joyful cries and I noticed her missing teeth looking more beautiful than before.

Is the level at which you’re practicing sustainable in your life? Why or why not?

I started this practicum with an intention to be aware of every human being I encountered. Whether it was acknowledging someone I past on the street, or saying hello to someone I sat next to on the bus. I noticed discouraged faces transforming into pleasing smiles. This practice also caused a few unexpected things to happen. A young girl began playing with my hair on the bus, and after smiling at the musician I pass in the bus tunnel every day he said, “Thank you for bringing the sunshine down from the cold.” Opening myself to strangers has also taken a blindfold from my eyes and I have been noticing many others doing kind acts. I notice people offering their seats to elders and one morning I saw a homeless man dancing with money in his hand. I definitely think acting kind to strangers can become a routine in my life. It’s a simple action with so much benefit.

What was your biggest take away that will influence your final credo?

This practicum did not only teach me that kindness can put an end to my hunger, it brought back powerful memories of my childhood and the roots of my personal being. This practicum was as much of an advantage for me as it was for the individuals rewarded with my kind acts. Even my mood changed, I would wake up in the morning excited for the new day. I experienced so much joy in the past week because I saw so many smiles and heard so many grateful words. I learned that kindness is the passage to finding happiness.

What are your core values? What do you believe?

I value kindness and believe it is the mother of well being. I believe in order to find happiness within ourselves we must learn how to act with kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment