Saturday, November 28, 2009

Practicum #1

For my practicum I challenged myself to love the things about people or situations that would otherwise irritate or upset me.

What experiences have you had as a result of practicing this belief or value that you would not otherwise have had?
I experienced a feeling of purpose. When people like my dad, dance teacher or even my dog did something that would irritate me, I would remind myself that they wouldn't be the same people if they didn't do those little things that bother me. And if my dad, dance teacher or dog were any different, then I wouldn't be the same person I am today.

Journal entry 4
November 24th

Tonight my dance teacher, Steve Casteel, kicked me out of ballet class for walking in with a sweater on. He did warn the class in advance, but he was never too clear about when we should take our warm-ups off. I was embarrassed and upset so I left the studio in tears. Negative thoughts were cluttering my brain. I took a step back and tried to look at the situation from his point of view. I began to think, maybe he's trying to help. Ballet is all about discipline, and in a company they won't be patient with you. Later, I went back to the studio to apologize to him. I said "I'm sorry, that won't happen again." He then told me "kicking you out of class hurt me more than it hurt you." He explained that all he was trying to do is help prepare me for the life ahead of me. He said it will be rough and that I will have to work with many teachers and choreographers that won't take any excuses. Steve then began to compliment me, saying I was a beautiful dancer and that he noticed me working hard every day I take his class. I felt so much better than I would have if it weren’t for this practicum. I don’t think I would’ve confronted him after the class and talked about the reason to why he kicked me out, and I wouldn’t have heard the nice things he told me. I appreciate Mr. Casteel for teaching me not only ballet, but the discipline behind the technique.

What new insights do you have about the belief or value you’ve practiced?
My dad picks me up late from dance sometimes, but he’s nice enough to give me a ride home almost every night. Sometimes my sister gets in these angry fits, but she’s comfortable showing her emotions around me. This practicum taught me that I can almost always find something positive in the things that trouble me. “I believe we should all find happiness” is a quote from my original credo; this is exactly a goal I’m trying to accomplish by finding the positive side of things.
Is the level at which you’re practicing sustainable in your life? Why or why not?
This practicum turned out to be a lot harder than I thought, but if I continue I believe it will become more natural to me. I felt really good about myself this whole week. I sometimes caught myself forgetting to resolve my frustrations, but with more practice it will become second nature to me.

What was your biggest take away that will influence your final credo?
I learned that when you really let yourself get annoyed, you can forget how lucky you are to have these wonderful people in your life. I will find true happiness loving people for who they are and everything about them; including their imperfections.

What are your core values? What do you believe?
I believe finding happiness is learning how to love people for their whole selves, and not the part of them that doesn’t annoy you. I believe if you focus on the positive side of things your relationships with people will improve. My core values that relate to this practicum are love, acceptance, and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment